Tuesday 3 July 2012

The Directors Cut: Luca Finotti & Kevin Calero.

 

The director’s cut: Luca Finotti & Kevin Calero.

They say a picture speaks a thousand words.
 So, how many is a short film meant to speak?
As corny as this may sound sometime when I watch a short film no words come to mind as I’m rendered speechless.

I’ve always been interested in fashion film; not just for my own interest but also I would recommend the use to most brands who want to take their visual aid of products to the next level. Short sequences fashion film is definitely the more modern way of capturing the essence of a brands inspiration, goals & desires.
I will admit though my knowledge of directors was slightly limited though. Until recently when I noticed two key names cropping up – Luca Finotti & Kevin Calero.


Luca Finotti is the Italian man bouncing between living lives in New York & Milan. Luca’s worked with a huge variety of names within the fashion industry such as Mariano Vivanco, Nicola formichetti & the lady herself… Lady Gaga.

Luca’s latest piece of work for DUST magazine is what really caught my eye.
Unlike the fun pop-art visions that Finotti provides us with in his ‘Made in Brazil’ or ‘Taste.IT’ videos, ‘INNER#SCARS’ is darker, refined yet compelling.
Simone Nobili provides a strong and believably performance, whilst a chilling soundtrack (by ‘Burial in McDonalds’) and cleverly picked set add character and atmosphere.
In my opinion ‘Inner#Scars’ is a creative, beautifully constructed piece of fashion film and treasure to Luca Finotti’s show reel.


INNER#SCARS by Luca Finotti for DUST from Luca Finotti on Vimeo.


Kevin Calero’s fascination with the land of dreams and creating alternate realities is his driving force for his work and it shows. Kevin Calero uses a range of concepts throughout his work each returning to the ‘dream reality’ of his original inspiration. Just looking through Kevin’s demo reel will have you won over.

I have two favourite pieces of Calero’s work but the one I am choosing to show you is showcase of Dulcedo models – Eyrck + Deiss.
When I saw this piece it instantly reminded me of why I want to work within this industry. This clip is strong, masculine and fast paced. With a punchy soundtrack and burly Givenchy styling I feel instantly washed over by the excitement and atmosphere from the clip. Calero’s clip is well calculated, brawny and concise and for me this piece packs just the right punch!


ERYCK + DEISS from Kevin Calero on Vimeo.


Whats your favourite?

Check out more of Luca Finotti’s and Kevin Calero’s work via Vimeo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...